How can we improve Airmail?

Support for basic email formatting/rich text without hard-coded font

This is incredibly frustrating as I posted this feature request on the old support site, which apparently got completely trashed and as a result all my work in explaining this is lost (not to mention the old suggestion had quite a number of votes).

Basically, Airmail really needs to support rich text/HTML email *without hardcoding the font definition into the HTML*.

Currently, as it is setup, Airmail will force the font style (including font family, size, and color) to the font chosen in the preferences under Composer. However, this is not how rich-text email should work. If the user does not specifically force a section of text to be styled as a certain font/size/etc, then when a receiving user opens the email the text should be displayed in the font and style chosen by the RECEIVING user. In other words, Airmail should only add the HTML for bold, italics, color changes, etc.

Gmail, Thunderbird, and the majority of other email clients and web services work like this and will only add the minimal amount of HTML necessary for rich text formatting (again, bold, italics, underlining, or sections of text that the user specifically asked to be formatted as a certain color, font, etc.).

This way, if you send an HTML email that is essentially just plain text (you don't add any special formatting), it will adopt the font style that the client mail app prefers. Otherwise, the text will look out of place, too small, a different color than the default text in the mail app, etc.

As an example, try sending an email from Airmail to an account that is accessed from an iPhone or Android device. You will find that when you view the email on that device, the text is usually too small and is much less readable than if the text just adopted the default font styling and size of the mail application (but it can't, because Airmail has hardcoded the CSS into the HTML and has essentially said, "Format all of the text EXACTLY like this").

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us the option to turn off "forcing" the font styling for all text. It makes the emails I send from Airmail look unprofessional to some users and inconsistent with HTML emails I send from other mail applications connected to the same address (Gmail, Thunderbird).

This is driving me insane, even more so since it looks like the suggestion I submitted a few months ago is now gone! If this doesn't get fixed soon, I will regrettably be forced to find another mail application for OS X. This is really basic stuff that is core to how any mail application works, please fix it before you add some of the other fancy features that are being suggested here.

Thank you.

/rant

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Erik Swan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex Mercado commented  · 

Now that it's released, how do I go about *using* this feature? Does it happen by default, or do I need to choose a setting?

• Robert Kopaczewski commented  · 

It seems that if I turn off Composer->Preserve formatting - it works as intended. Shouldn't it work only for replies? Still it's semi-fine now.

No, it is not. I tested latest airmail beta and airmail from appstore.
        Airmail email content defines inline style for whole body:
        font-family:Helvetica,Arial;font-size:13px

Apple Mail: no global definitions of font AT ALL.

@Giovanni, I don't believe so. Got the 227 release and nothing's changed in this matter.

Yes, please. This is very needed feature. I hate Airmail composer because of this. This and the fact that for every new email cursor caret starts at second paragraph so I have to remember to go back one paragraph. Very annoying.

Airmail Mac 3.x

Feedback and Knowledge Base