How can we improve Airmail?

Search reverts to inbox

When I search for something a list of matching messages appears. But when I start clicking on those messages to examine them in the preview window I only have few seconds to read before my search clears and I am taken back to the inbox of whatever account I searched in. The only way to avoid this is to double-click the message so that it opens in it's own window but this is really cumbersome especially with conversation threads. It has to be a bug: why wouldn't Airmail assume that I was to stick with the searched messages until I had cleared the search myself? Certainly that's how the web gmail works.

52 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Curtis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Done  · 

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Antairez commented  · 

After further investigation with the customer service rep Sarah, I can pinpoint the bug within a specific Chinese email provider QQ.com. When this account is added via IMAP (where you have to enable IMAP permission and generate a random password first from their web mail page, and configure Airmail's incoming IMAP to imap.qq.com on port 993 and sending SMTP to smtp.qq.com on port 465 both running on SSL), you can test its search behavior and you will realize it will always return the wrong thing. When searching under this mail account via Airmail, the search result would first be correct for a few seconds (I'm guessing this is search performed locally?), but then when QQ.com returns the search result, its wrong and it simply replaces whatever the local search is showing. That sort of explain why I'm only having issues with this provider. Searching on their webmail works, however. I've tried the same thing on gmail, yahoo, iCloud.com, and none of them have this behavior.

• Antairez commented  · 

I would like to report the same problem, however, with a few more details. When I search in English, the problem doesn't occur. The problem occurs to me when I try to search in other languages (in my case, Chinese). I also tried to create a smart folder before the search result gets cleared, and tried to view the result within the smart folder, and same thing happened. The result would still get cleared after only a few seconds.

Airmail Mac 3.x: Integrations

Feedback and Knowledge Base