Initialization is stuck for both of my IMAP accounts. Just go a visit from the IT department that my IMAP sync used 30gb in the last couple of hours. I tried to reset database and resync but it doesnt work. Also it would be nice to notify the user that something is wrong and not to try and sync the whole time.
Also a push feature (instead poll) would be nice.
Stuck for me too...
Tried to clear cache, now I can't se any of my mail!
add another one to this list. Been on 8% for a while now. Turned off download attachments to try and speed things up but....it doesn't seem to have done anything.
Fergus N commented
This is happening to me now too - since last update
same here... my airmail gets stuck and crashes very often... I think they need to fix something and update..
Brian Milburn commented
It is now March 2017 and I guess this has never been fixed. Airmail stopped retrieving messages this morning and had never competed the initialization process(stuck at 77%). I had to reset and am currently stuck on 50% initialization and have no confidence that Airmail will continue to work. Not a good thing since I depend on email all day long. Search is unreliable, retrieving new messages is unreliable, I guess I'll give it a little longer but it is looking like Airmail is going to be a "nice try" for me. I'll have to go back to PostBox which I dislike. But at least it works.
Rob V. commented
This initialization thing is driving me crazy. Update didn't fix it. "How can we improve Airmail?" Well, make it work, for a start!
Initialization of IAMP messages stuck at 80% - without a clue of what to do to get to a 100%.
Very annoying because search is now unreliable, of course.
Brandon Carson commented
This initialization process seems ridiculous. I'm not sure what it actually means, but when I added my company's Exchange account, initialization was a horrendous time-suck. It literally took over a week. The issue was I couldn't see new emails, couldn't trust that emails were actually sending and wasn't able to effectively search. It made me question the actual software. I stuck it out just to see if it would actually complete the process. It did, but only after I reset the database TWICE. This process took over 2 weeks. Not good.
Same here using latest Airmail 3.
Stuck at 3% (~850 messages) every time (after restart app / reboot)